…with real-time passenger information using the Papercast range of e-paper bus stop displays
If you are genuinely serious about keeping your customers informed with real-time passenger information, you need to do a few things:
- Firstly, if you haven’t already, you need to embrace technology and implement an electronic passenger information system.
- Secondly, you need a bus stop display technology that gives you the utmost flexibility in delivering live informative content, this may mean upgrading from first or second-generation technology for some operators.
- Finally, you need absolute confidence that you have the right platform to manage and distribute content in a timely and efficient manner, across your transit network. A platform that is packed with functionality and flexibility to meet your ever-evolving needs.
An electronic bus stop passenger information system comprises many components, the display itself is the most obvious, among other things. Commonly referred to as the content management system – this is a vital consideration when selecting a solution.
As specialists in passenger information technology for the transit sector, this is something we know only too well, which is why we developed a system to complement our e-paper display technology. Together they offer the most advanced standalone bus stop display solution available. We call it the Papercast Data Management Platform.
In this series of blogs, we will help you understand the power of our data management system and what Papercast is capable of when it comes to keeping your passengers informed! In this first blog, we bring our e-paper displays to life with a selection of content examples.
Before we do, here are a few things we think you need to know about our platform:
- Powerful cloud management – The user-friendly cloud-based management system can be accessed from anywhere, and is packed with features so you can manage every aspect of the Papercast displays
- Instant data integration – Instant integration with open data feed standards such as GTFS, GTFS RT or SIRI for real-time arrival information, combined with intuitive content editing for publishing information in a format that suits you
- Content is king – Complete control and flexibility over content design and presentation, with a broad range of flexible layouts, apps and widgets, as well as the ability to build and integrate your own
- At your fingertips – Monitor, manage and report on every display feature, such as local image rendering, connectivity, system power, auto-diagnostics, movement detection, solar charging and external sensors
Ways Papercast e-paper displays can help you to keep passengers informed
With a broad range of layouts, apps, widgets and data sources as standard, you have complete control and flexibility over content design, presentation and delivery. There are literally hundreds of variations and here we will show you just a few examples, but remember, you can also develop your own!
The visuals shown here can be applied to the 13.3” and the 32” display, you can show a range of content in a scrolling sequence or combine layouts on the 13.3” double or triple configurations.
LIVE BUS ARRIVALS
You can simply show live bus arrivals, dynamically generated from your GTFS, GTFS RT, SIRI or a proprietary data integration:
You can show arrivals with the visual view of bus service frequency:
And with notifications or alerts on current or future service changes due to known events or road closures:
You can also show the bus making progress along the route in real-time (the bus icon moves along the route between each preceding stop). You can show bus arrival times in minutes, with or without service amenities:
See it in action below, along with the introduction of a route map showing other transport connections:
Here is another example of a map format:
Perhaps combine all three elements and look out for the subtle addition of the weather indicator:
See this in action, using a slightly different format, in the clip below. Look out for the live service change notification on the final two frames:
See below for a different layout with more detailed weather forecast:
STATIC SERVICE INFORMATION
There is often a requirement to show static service information, either on a section of the screen or as part of a rotating screen sequence, here are some examples below. This content is easily managed and updated in the management system, meaning you will always be sharing up-to-date information with passengers.
MULTI LANGUAGE SUPPORT
We also support a range of different language and writing systems, such as Asian and Arabic script, in high resolution and with complete clarity:
This showcases just a few examples of what Papercast is capable of, and remember layouts are completely customisable – the options are endless! We hope you have found it interesting, if you would like to know more please get in contact or download our brochure.
Look out for the next blog in the series where you can find out more about the features of the data management platform and get an insight into how it works.
If you want to know more about e-paper displays for bus stop signage, read this article.